Search This Blog

Wednesday 28 July 2010

Chickens

Here's an update on the chickens. 
We collected 4 more ex-battery hens on Saturday.  They were in a terrible state, much worse than our last ones.  By Sunday morning, one had sadly died already.  She was the littlest of the four, and had very little energy to even move.  I knew she'd be trouble, but I wasn't expecting a death so soon.  I'd named her Olive.
Of the three left, one won't walk at all (Miss Floppy - so-called because of her enormous floppy comb, and only until a better name and chance of a future are secured), and one has a limp (Woody).  We're taking Miss Floppy to the vet tomorrow.  Fingers crossed it's nothing too serious, just a little time and tlc needed, but I won't hold my breath.
'Woody'.  Life as a battery caged hen is not a pretty one.  Free-ranging, here I come!!
We've arranged to pick up two more this Saturday, so fingers crossed they're in a better state.  It's wonderful to give the chance of a decent life to these birds, and the improvement we've seen in the past was quite miraculous, but it does break my heart to see them looking so sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment